Frederic BOUVIER wrote:

> Melchior FRANZ wrote :
>
> > * Erik Hofman -- Thursday 26 February 2004 13:06:

> > > This *is* the official syntax.
> >
> > For web server authentication, but AFAIK not for proxy authentication.
> > Anyway, I'll set my local proxy up for authentication and investigate
> > this. Expect a patch within the next days.
>
> The code in libcurl suggest that the syntax is :
>
> Proxy-authorization: Basic authorization
>
> Note the keyword 'Basic'
>
> I also read a message in their mailing list suggesting that the authorization
> is base64 encoded : http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2003-09/0198.html

Melchior,

if you are still looking for the right rfc for this, I think rfc2617 should explain
the Basic stuff.
The code in cURL is :

  /*************************************************************
   * Proxy authentication
   *************************************************************/
  if(conn->bits.proxy_user_passwd) {
    char *authorization;
    snprintf(data->state.buffer, BUFSIZE, "%s:%s",
             data->state.proxyuser, data->state.proxypasswd);
    if(Curl_base64_encode(data->state.buffer, strlen(data->state.buffer),
                          &authorization) >= 0) {
      if(conn->allocptr.proxyuserpwd)
        free(conn->allocptr.proxyuserpwd);
      conn->allocptr.proxyuserpwd =
        aprintf("Proxy-authorization: Basic %s\015\012", authorization);
      free(authorization);
    }
  }

Pretty obvious : user and password seperated by colon ':', then base64
encoded and then prepended with 'Basic '. I read reports saying that 'basic '
(lower case), while permitted by the rfc, is rejected by some servers.

-Fred