Jorge Van Hemelryck wrote:
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:55:50 +0100
Erik Hofman wrote:

It should also be working with the latest version of FlightGear.
And if they patched FlightGear to support their software they *must* send you the source at your request (GPL compatibility).

How interesting... I was just about to ask about this kind of thing.
First of all, congrats to Curt and to the mother for the baby. And now
to my question.

If I write a ".h" file that re-defines the NetFDM structure, so that a C
program can interact with fgfs via the native FDM protocol, will the
file be considered as part of FlightGear and consequently inherit the
GPL (and the whole C program along with it) ? Or is it only considered
as some sort of data definition only ?

The header files for native.hxx and native_ctrl.hxx have been modified and don't fall under the GPL, just for this purpose. There have been problems with GPL'ed headers for other projects.

Actually, we might be considering the use of FlightGear as a simple
visual system on some of the simulators we have at work (we use other
systems I once told you about, APOGEE by SOGITEC), but of course the
code of our simulators can't be GPL... It will most probably never be
redistributed anyway, so nobody would have noticed, but I just wanted to
know exactly how much legal interaction actually takes place, so that I
can give accurate information about this to other people here which
would ask that sort of question.

By the way, my colleagues were surprised that with only a couple of
days' work (most of that time spent studying the NetFDM code), it "just
worked"... Of course, it needs some tweaking, but position and
orientation were correctly displayed, which was already impressive if we
compare that to some of the very burdensome protocols we sometimes have
to deal with...

Well, you have to provide the source code at the request of the user. If there aren't any users, you wouldn't have to provide the source :-)

Erik