Martin Spott said:

> Lee Elliott wrote:
>
> > Ta for pointing out the high-speed oscillation problem - I've got to confess
> > that all the recent AP changes were only tested at relatively low speeds i.e.
> > flying circuits to check take-offs & landing.  I'll have a look into it.
>
> When you're done with that I'll send you my suggestions for
> auto-landing (despite the fact that I suspect auto-landing to be really
> boring  ;-))

Hehe...well actually it is pretty exciting from an engineering perspective ;-)

For the oscillations, it seems that using the PI simple controller setup fixed
this issue in the 747...althought I would have to do a lot more testing at
various altitudes and mach numbers to be sure that it is indeed fixed.

One thing is that in some cases the 747 would climb to altitude and level off
at a stable cruise,  but things like turbulance and/or entering a command to
change altitude would introduce the porpoising.  To test for that quickly, I
get the aircraft cruising nice and smooth,  then pull the stick all the way
back for a couple seconds and let it go (this is a joystick so it springs back
to neutral).  If things are ok the upset aircraft will stabilize in just a few
seconds.

Best,

Jim