Rick Ansell wrote:
> I think that the article was referring to net thrust from the
> propellor-powerplant combination. 2000lb of engine ;power' doesn't
> necessarily make for 2000lb of thrust from the prop.

Actually, 2000 pounds of thrust doesn't sound that far off.  To start
with an intuitive argument: 2000 lbs is about half of what a light
bizjet of the same weight as the Mustang gets, so we're not too far
from the right ballpark.

More numerically: The engine is listed as 1590 horsepower.  Figure
that it can develop that power at sea level while going at 360 knots
(~180m/s).  One HP is 745 watts, and figure about 80% efficiency (peak
for most propellers is 85%) so we have:

1590 * 745 * 0.8 / 180 = 5264 Newtons == 1180 pounds of force.

That's at max speed.  If you develop the same power and get the same
prop efficiency at 200 knots (which is still well within a "normal"
environment), then you'll see 2000 pounds from the prop.

Andy