On Thursday 29 April 2004 19:59, Andy Ross wrote:
> Lee Elliott wrote:
> > It looks like the fuel was being taken from each tank at the same rate
> > instead of proportionally, depending upon their capacity, with the
> > result that the external wing tanks were emptied while the other tanks
> > still held plenty of fuel, and this caused the engine shutdown.
>
> Indeed.  The proportionality feature (a hack to handle the fact that
> you couldn't do tank selection in the original code) was removed with
> the move to the Nasal fuel code.  Now, trying to draw fuel from an
> empty tank causes an engine failure.  In real planes (with exceptions,
> obviously), you have to select tanks correctly.  The proper pilot
> operation in this case would have been to deselect (set the "selected"
> property to false) the wing tanks before they were empty.
>
> Obviously some aircraft will be able to draw fuel at different rates
> from different tanks, but in general this capability will be more
> complicated than simple proportionality.
>
> Andy

Fair enough - it's more realistic.

Is there a way of starting a Nasal script automatically at start-up? (this
would help with zeroing the A-10 external tanks for the clean configuration)

I could do a script that monitors the tank levels and de-selects them when
they're empty but I don't know how to best invoke it.

Perhaps an auto fuel management instrument might be the best answer - when
it's clicked, or set to engaged, the fuel management script is invoked.  It
could then be switched off as well.

LeeE