Norman Vine wrote:

Melchior FRANZ writes:

* Al West -- Friday 30 April 2004 20:05:

Is collision detection part of the model/dynamics set per aircraft? Just I've been flying through the buildings in San Fran all afternoon in the bo105.

Contact points are per model, but the behavior is AFAIK the same for all
models: you can fly through walls, but not through roofs (neither up nor
down). I've no idea if this was intended. :-)

FlightGear does not do collision detection.
FlightGear does Height Above Terrain determination.

Right, and also notice that FG samples current terrain elevation once each frame. So when you are one frame short of flying into an object, you still get the normal ground elevation. Now the next frame you are inside the object. FG looks for a highest terrain intersection point that is below your current elevation.

Because it samples only once per frame, it will almost never see the wall. And as Norman and other's have pointed out, this logic allows us to taxi into hangers, fly under bridges, even taxi along the lower level of the bay bridge.

Besides, flying into buildings isn't exactly top form these days.

Unique text: 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d