I don't know how things are done in other 3D modelling softwares, but in 3D
Studio, each effect has a seperated mapping channel.  For example, if you
want transparency in certain areas of a texture, you need to assign a map to
the transparency channel of that texture inorder for those certain portions
of the latter to possess true transparency.  Usually, the map can be the same
file as the texture itself, though you have to play around with the options a
bit so that the transparency is based on the Alpha instead of RGB.

Check this out: http://waylon-art.com/uvw_tutorial/tut401_a.jpg
Notice the various mapping channels: ambient, diffuse, specular color,
specular level, glossiness, self illumination; the list is quite long.

As I said, I don't know how things are done in other 3D modelling softwares.
Your best bet will be looking for the dialog box that allows you to apply
different effects to a texture in the 3D modelling software that you are
using.

Regards,
Ampere