> > Alex Perry wrote:
> > > The framerate was just over 1fps, but that's because the laptop has
> > > the ATI 9600 chipset so I have to choose between the unaccelerated
> > > open source driver or the 32-bit only accelerated closed source

>From Arnt Karlsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> ..which laptop and which X?

e-Machines M6805
The next up model in the series is the M6807 with a better optical drive.
They now have a M6809 which has a 3200+ processor instead of a 3000+.

Xfree86 version 4.3.0.1 on both the 32-bit and the 64-bit chroots.

> How does 32- and 64-bit glxgears compare,
> native screen (no resizing),

32-bit ATI driver, kernelmod, userspace: 1833 fps
32-bit ATI driver, no krnmod, userspace: 93 fps
32-bit ATI driver with 64-bit userspace: 96 fps
64-bit Open Source driver and userspace: 720 fps

> full screen and "same as FG"?

32-bit ATI driver, kernelmod, userspace: 174 fps
32-bit ATI driver, no krnmod, userspace: 8.0 fps
32-bit ATI driver with 64-bit userspace: 8.5 fps
64-bit Open Source driver and userspace: 148 fps

> > > driver from ATI. I used the accelerated driver, running in a chroot
> > > on a biarch kernel, but ATI's kernel module doesn't compile for
> > > 64-bit so I couldn't use it.
> ..does ATI know?

I put a note on their support site requesting a 64 bit clean "fglrx".
The numbers above show why the lack of that kernel module matters.