FlightGear has no trouble displaying the mesh, but things aren't working as
nicely for the texture parts.  For example, to get transparency working, I
had to tune the opacity of the entire object to 98%.  As a result, you can
see through the aircraft if you look at things closely.  Now, I run into the
problem of getting illumination working, which seems to be impossible.  These
problems are starting to become very fustrating.

Can someone please look through the code and tell me how FlightGear handles
ambient, diffuse, illumination, glossness, and specular for 3ds files?

Thanks in advance,
Ampere