David Megginson said:

> Jim Wilson wrote:
>
> > You see, at least on the federal level you can collect quite a large sum of
> > money as "gifts" before you have to put anything on your tax return.
>
> I am not intimately familiar with U.S. tax laws, but I would be very
> surprised if the IRS allowed Curt to count advertising revenue as a gift.  I
> will admit that I do not know what the case would be for voluntary
> donations, so a PayPal donation button might be an OK choice.
>
> > So in a nutshell my advice is: (1) Think about the project image issue. (2)
> > Don't be afraid of small business.  People do it every day.  It doesn't have
> > to be complex or "commercial".
>
> The overhead is not horrible, but it's important not to underestimate it --
> you'll be hard-pressed to find any small business owner who was not
> surprised by the amount of non-billable work involved and dismayed by the
> number of regs to learn (and I understand that the U.S. is much worse than
> Canada in this regard). I've set up three corporations and have been running
> my own small business since 1998, and the extra time required is by no means
> a full-time or even half-time job, but it is there.  I've never done
> anything disasterous, but I did have to write off USD 18K in accounts
> receivable from a customer that went bankrupt, and I lost another USD 9K to
> the government early on because of tax laws I didn't fully understand yet (I
> wrote myself a bonus cheque a couple of months later than I was supposed to,
> and ended up with a mini-audit from the province of Ontario and USD 1.5K in
> accounting fees on top of the tax penalty).
>
> I don't regret going into business for myself, but it's a big commitment,
> not a side project. If someone already has too little time available, as is
> Curt's problem, spending even more time managing customer relationships,
> sending out invoices, chasing down bad accounts, filling in tax forms, etc.
> might not be the best choice, especially if the potential revenue is (as I
> suspect) a couple of thousand dollars per year at best.
>
> > P.S. Note, I am not a CPA or a lawyer,  but I've been intimately involved in
> > starting up corporations (one was my own) and have filed a few schedule C
> > forms over the years.  Talk to a CPA who understands that you want to "keep it
> > simple".  Generally speaking business lawyers don't know what "keep it simple"
> > means (or rather they recognize that "simple" != "legal fees").
>
> The problem is that the CPA's fee alone will probably represent a
> significant percentage of the potential annual revenue.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but collecting a few donations from PayPal
shouldn't require anything.  That's the point.  If (only if) it is required,
a simple schedule C is routine for little things on the side and usually takes
about 15 minutes to complete.  Probably a million or more get filed in the US
every year.  There's even a short form version that covers most side hobby
type things.

Maybe I've missed something in this thread,  I am not talking about a
consulting business with customers, time billing, etc.  Such a business is
just exactly as you describe, except maybe for folks that just do a little
moonlighting in the local neighborhood.  Yes, schedule C would probably be
required for advertizing revenues (if the proceeds are above the annual
minimum which has got to be at least $500).  That's why I mentioned it
earlier.  FWIW I'm not keen on the ad idea either.  I don't think it would
produce much anyway.

As far as the CPA is concerned,  of course they charge a good fee for their
time if you ask them to structure a business or do a plan, financial
statements, returns, etc.  There are at least a couple in town here who will
answer a simple question they don't have to research like "how much can I
collect in donations before filing a schedule C" (just don't make the call
during tax season :-)).  For that matter the IRS 800 number offers the same
info and probably the website does too.

Best,

Jim