Erik Hofman wrote:

> For what I've heard gcc is often the better option on Solaris because of
> (code) incompatibilities with gcc. I must admit, that was about four
> years back and I haven't followed Sun/Solaris much in the mean time.

Yeah  ;-)
The GCC-3.4.x release notes mention even binary compatibility with the
respective commercial compilers on both IRIX and Solaris.
GCC on Solaris is not really a bad choice - we got along pretty well
since 1995  :-)  and Solaris/Sparc is a widely used platform with lots
of supporters. On the other hand even on IA32 GCC has been outperformed
by the respective commercial compilers (by Intel), so I suspect
similarities on Sparc as well,

Martin.