While the idea is correct in principle, what you said
it is not so straightforward.

I've realised a flight recorder and a flight player
for Flightgear for my thesis so I played around with
few ideas. Basically I developed a virtual cockpit in
a distributed environment that uses Flightgear to have
some 'meaningful' flight data. I had to test different
configurations so I needed to use always the same data
that is to fly always the same flight.

My experience is that it's very difficult to
synchronise Flightgear with an
initial-position-and-flight-command approach since the
only cross-platform means of communication available
is the socket. You always end up with a time shifting
of the packets that produces a space shifting of the
flight. Therefore sometimes you try to manouevre into
a mountain while you did't in the original flight.
Now what i've done is to record, through a socket, all
the flight at an accettable frame rate onto a file by
using the native-fdm data structure. (this is the
recorder). Then I wrote a player that reads the file
and sends the data over to Flightgear (previously set
up with the external-fdm option). It works quite well
apart from some adjustment in the speed of replay you
need to experiment with.

Roberto