On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:25:02 -0400
"Ampere K. Hardraade" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Also, why can't we have our own airport database that extends
> Robin's?

Presumably, we can; it's just a big job and nobody's stepped forward
to do it.

It'd certainly be nice to have another layer between Robin's
database and our use of it.  Corrections that fgfs users make
to airports could become available more quickly than they are
by passing them up to Robin and waiting for the next issuance
of his database.  And things like the complete disappearance
of KSQL, the training airport used in some of FlightGear's new
user docs, could be easily caught and corrected for.  But it
could end up being a lot of work.

Also, there *are* occasional updates to Robin's data, and they
seem to be fairly big -- lotsa stuff comes in from the X-Plane
users, I guess.  So one would have to take that new dataset,
and then compare against local changes to the old dataset, and
adjust accordingly.  And how do you deal with cases where we
have local changes to airport X, and airport X has changed in
Robin's latest database, and the two changes disagree?
Anyway.  I think the short answer is that someone'd have to
commit to doing it.

-c

                (remove "snip-me." to email)