Erik Hofman wrote:
Boris Koenig wrote:

Because of this obvious advantage (particularly for users with slow
dial-up connections, but also for those among us who have broadband
access, but don't like to wait... ) we would now like to know what
the rest of you thinks about adding those tardiff based patches as an OFFICIAL alternative *directly* to the FlightGear webpage as option to
the downloads section for FlightGear's most recent base packages.

I find it a useful addition for modem users, but my only concern is that it will increase the number complaints about something not working while in fact their base package is somehow "corrupted".

While there were -so far- not any problems regarding something like that, I did also think about that possibility - that's why I would recommend to only release those patches that have been tested by running each created patch against the (old) base-package that it is supposed to patch, and directly compare the resulting (patched) folder structure with the one of the actual (original) base package, BEFORE publishing future patches.

While it would be additional work, it can surely be automatized using
a simple shell script [1], but we would at least make sure that the patch creates an identical folder structure.

So, only those patches would be released.

--------
Boris

[1]: patches could be checked for their validity by using the already created checksums of the original archive, possibly using the finish shell script.