On Saturday 25 September 2004 20:38, Boris Koenig wrote:

> The major disadvantage would of course be that there's no
> integration with existing virtual ATC networks - so,
> there wouldn't be any existing ATC community to really
> 'drive' such a FlightGear ATC project ... and even if you
> could attract some people, because of its opensource nature:
> FlightGear does certainly not have such a large user community
> as simulators like MS FS and X-Plane have, so this is then another
> drawback for potential virtual ATC controllers.

There is one way how this could be done.

And this would be to create our own full open source ATC network
that is capable to speak to FlightGear and X-Plane and Microsoft's Flight
Simulator.

Because if this software is capable of connecting to all 3 flight sims,
there is a chance, that a community for this ATC network will grow
very rapidly.
Of course, this will lead to a leaving of people at the other 2 ATC networks
like VATSIM and IVAO when our ATC network allows to talk with FS2004 clients
too, but this is their problem when they don't want to work with us now.
Open source can be very powerfull, can't it? :)

> In the end this would become a totally new project
That's the only problem, someone would have to do this work and write the
software for such an ATC network and this wouldn't be a small project.

>  nothing that
> could be run under FlightGear's umbrella easily, at least not if
> it's supposed to become 'successful'

If it supports all 3 major flight sims and have software that can compete with
the other ATC networks at the beginning, it will be successful on the long
run . Because that's the thing real open source software can do best.

just my 2 cents.

Best Regards,
 Oliver C.