I know.  I am proposing that it may be a good idea to cut it down further so
that the archive is around 40MB.

I've just did some googling today, and I found that I am not the only one who
see the size of the archive as a problem.

"I think GotM could make a HUGE difference for FlightGear, maybe not for the
Flightgear project itself, but for the gamers that (don't) play it. As it is
now its really just a mess, ugly gui, almost impossible to find good scenery,
half the planes are broken/incomplete, download far to huge and whatever.
Yes, with enough knowledge and interest one can tweak everything so that it
works, however the casual gamer won't.

Simply polishing the GUI, adding just a single complete plane and scenery
(thus reducing download and user frustration), all with airport full of 3d
objects and such, and some missions and in-game tutorials to the game and you
have a huge boost in playability."

http://www.happypenguin.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1567

On another note:

"The 3d models should then be saved in AC3d format (*.ac)
 because that is the file format that is used by FlightGear.
 (FYI Blender can import and export into *.ac file format) "

I am seeing a serious problem here: people thinks that FlightGear only
supports AC3D!  We really need to get those people to know that FlightGear
supports variety of 3d formats.  We especially need to stress that one can
uses GMAX for modelling, so that people who have experience in modelling for
MSFS would feel comfortable switching over, instead of asking "what the heck
is ac3d".

Ampere