On Sunday 21 November 2004 21:58, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:32:12 +0000 (UTC), Martin wrote in
> message
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Lee Elliott wrote:
> > > I also believe the main gear was designed to tolerate less
> > > than perfect strips.
> >
> > Yes, the main gear looks to be very 'robust'. But I still
> > wonder why they paid attention to these features. To my
> > knowledge the TSR-2 was designed for long range and high
> > cruise speed. This sort of aircraft typically doesn't need
> > rough, short strips, they could safely operate from distant
> > bases ....
>
> ..you forget this plane was made to fight WWIII.  ;-).

In a nut shell, you've got it.  The requirements spec was very
demanding and to a degree lead to it's failure.

Even so, albeit after prolonged development, it seems as though
it was coming pretty close to actually meeting those
requirements when the project was cancelled.  I've read that if
just any one of those requirements had been relaxed just a
little the a/c would have cost a lot less to produce and been a
lot easier to actually manufacture.

Many, if not most of the people involved in the project seem to
believe that it was dropped more for political reasons (it had
the potential to upset the balance of powers) rather than
technical/manufacturing problems (there have been a surprisingly
high number of books written about the TSR2) and considering the
original specs & requirements, it's likely that the TSR2 would
still be in service today, had they ever got into production and
service.

LeeE