On Friday 17 December 2004 21:51, Vivian Meazza wrote:
> Lee Elliott wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 December 2004 21:17, Jon S Berndt wrote:
> > [snip...]
> >
> > > Also, ask yourself the question, does the normalized value
> > > of, say, 0.5 really correspond to 30 degrees of flaps when
> > > the total range is 0 to 60?
> >
> > Are you not assuming a linear transition here?  It doesn't
> > have to be.
>
> How do FDMs handle Fowler flaps? i.e. the first part of the
> action extends the flap rearwards without any rotation, acting
> only to increase wing area, then for the rest of the action
> rotate downwards?
>
> Easy enough to 3d model with a normalized input: translation
> then rotation.
>
> Just curious
>
> Vivian

That's exactly one of the problems I'm trying to work out wioth
the B-52.  The flaps have only two settings - fully extended or
fully retracted, and it took 60 sec for full traversal.  IIRC,
the first 60%, or so, just increases the wing area, with the
remainder changing the downwash.  I've no idea what YASim is
doing, as far as numbers go, but it seems to be behaving close
according to anecdotal evidence.

Perhaps flight control surfaces should be defined in terms of the
change to chord and incidence but then how do you get the data?

LeeE