On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:16:48 -0600
Curtis L. Olson wrote:

> I know different people will have different opinions on this, but I feel
> that simply interpolating over time to the "closest" data is just as
> good as anything.  Interpolating spacially between the closest 3
> stations is attractive, but remember this data is already starting to
> get old by the time we get it so we will never be exactly correct with
> current conditions.
                                [ snip ]
> Personally, I think it would be a *lot* simpler, and arguably just as
> accurate to do a temporal interpolation towards the latest data at the
> closest weather station.

Another issue is the fact that the data available from the METAR station
seems sometimes *very* old (e.g. a day or more).  I've flown (in
FlightGear) around a metropolitan area where I know exactly what the
weather's like (e.g. clear skies), and found it change from roughly
correct weather to something *wildly wrong* (e.g. overcast down to 900
feet, which it was like earlier in the week but definitely not today) to
something correct again (back to clear skies) as I fly 5 miles in a
straight line over the metro area.  So instead of spatial interpolation,
one might consider weighted spatial averaging (e.g. a gather scheme with
a broad Gaussian kernel or whatever) to lessen the effect of anomalous
stations in densely sampled areas.

> Lot's of
> fun to be had if someone had the time to play with it ...

I used to do stuff that bears some similarities to this for a living.
Unfortunately, it was in FORTRAN.  Heh.

-c

                (remove "snip-me." to email)