Syd said:

> Just a question to all...
> After the issue with the dhc-2 panel , should I be modelling for the
> latest plib?
> The ' drawing order ' of objects with transparent textures is different
> ...so the .ac files have to be modified ... if that makes sense. I
> haven't found a way to make the models display correctly between the
> different versions.
> So should I start using the latest plib and hope everyone upgrades ???
>
> P.S. ...redoing the dhc-2 gauges ...it should work with any plib version
> .... just more polygons to deal with :(

This has nothing to do with it.   Your gauges look great.  The transparencies
go on the stack last (or at least after anything that must show behind them)
unless there's a sort being done.   If putting the transparency last in the
file breaks something then there is a bug in plib, not your model.

Manual fixed sorting as opposed to dynamically sorting is often problematic.
Especially in the cases where you might be looking through multiple layers of
alpha textures in different orders depending on viewpoint.  If you manually
sort and then someone runs a development version of plib that sorts
dynamically you should still be fine (unless the plib algorithm is
broken...which is not your problem :-)).

Basically, the reason the transparencies need to be last (top of the stack) is
the rendering starts at the top of the stack, last ac3d object is top of the
stack (for that model).  The renderer needs to know if there's an alpha
object/texture _before_ processing the objects that are behind the alpha
object so it can blend their colors in as it goes (which is what gives the
"glass" effect).  Normal behavior is to assume anything closer to the eyepoint
simply obscures what is behind it which is why the guage faces disappeared
when the panel glass came after the guages in the process.  As I mentioned
before, always keep in mind that the order of objects in the ac3d file is the
opposite of the order they are rendered.   That is why the alphas have to be
after the objects behind them in the ac3d file.

Best,

Jim