Why can't we have a tiny little app that is just intelligent enough
to find the XML file, check whether we should be splashing ourselves,
knows to abort quietly if not, and otherwise brings up a splash window?

Given something like that, with very very few library dependencies,
we should be able to fork that off as the very first thing we do.
While the main program is still trying to get the DLLs linked up,
the forked utility would long since have put up the splash screen.

When we have the main loop running and the simulator has run one second,
we simply send a signal to the splash and it gracefully suicides.