Frederic Bouvier said:

> To bring fgrun to 1.0 quality grade, and after receiving suggestions from
> Curt,
> I am now planning to add basic options to the wizard instead of keeping them
> hidden behind the Advanced button. Maybe by reducing the size of the command
> line textfield ( it could also be move to the Advanced section ).
>
> For the moment, my shortlist for basic options is :
>
> --geometry ( with a combo box of standard resolutions )
> --time-of-day
> --(en/dis)able-game-mode
> --(en/dis)able-random-objects
> --(en/dis)able-ai-models
> --(en/dis)able-auto-coordination
> --(en/dis)able-real-weather-fetch
> --(en/dis)able-horizon-effect
> --(en/dis)able-enhanced-lighting
> --(en/dis)able-specular-highlight
>
> and optionally
> --atlas ( with default options )
> --3d-clouds ( perhaps. they are not finished but are sometimes gorgeous )
> --multiplayer
>
> I also want to have better resizing to have a more professional look.
>
> Also it would be nice to be able to fetch and install aircraft and scenery
> directly from the master server ( a "add new" button that connect via http ).
> Maybe it would require that the script that generate the aircraft download
> page
> also generate an XML file that could be remotely parsed to ease aircraft
> selection.
>
> Comments welcome

This sounds great.  A couple things I could add:

1. Make the label for the game mode check box say "Game Mode (Full screen)" as
many non-developers don't understand what game mode means.

2. Include the geometry in an easy place and make it two textboxes so to look
something like this:
Length [  ] X Width [  ],  then let the app concact the string.

3. It would be nice to specify default values at build time.  On a system that
has no fgrun.prefs,  the c172p should come up selected and the KSFO airport
should come up selected.   We could change those if they were handled as build
parameters.  Basically fgrun should have something set there instead of
nothing.  I understand that flightgear will use its own defaults,  this is
just for user interface value.  Alternatively (I'm not familiar with how fltk
works) maybe we could install a static fgrun.prefs at a system wide level
(/etc on linux, /windows/system32 on windows) and fall back to that if the
local user copy does not exist.

4. The view target offsets (if they are available) might help with the model
preview window.   Right now the aircraft with origin at the nose are rotating
about the nose which looks a little odd.   Also, I don't know if anyone
noticed but the b105 from 0.9.8 is a tiny little spec in the preview window.
I haven't checked but I think that there might be a renegade vertex in the
model hanging out several hundred units from the origin.

Bugs:

There are a couple bugs or at least they were there a week or so ago.   One is
just a mapping typo where latitude goes into both latitude and altitude.   The
other is under linux the fg-root and fg-scenery parameters don't get saved and
passed on to fgfs (no prefs.set done) unless you hit previous to display
page[0] (the function that processes page[0] saves those strings).

It is great to see more work going into this excellent program.  I'll download
cvs and test what your doing and maybe help with a couple things.

Best,

Jim