On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:38:11 -0800, Andy wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > ..riiight, we all can agree on that, now try keeep in mind _none_ of
> > us are IBM, and The SCO Group is still running its 2 yr old Â419
> > scam in the 9'th Circuit Court before Judge Kimball in SLC, Utah.
>
> Relax.  Under no circumstances will we be any more exposed than if we
> ported to *commercial* Solaris, where we have no rights to any Sun IP
> at all.

..true.

> This is a non-issue.  The complaint is that the Sun patent grant is
> unfair and incompatible with the GPL, so free software developers
> should not attempt to use the Sun patents.  We aren't, so we don't
> care.

..we don't know their patent claims, and the advice from Groklaw
is "don't look, or you'll pay 3 times more for wilful infringement."

..here, we're like in a WWI trench; if we duck, we don't see incoming
shell shit, if we take a wee peek, we risk getting shot right down.  ;o)

..the prudent way is, let Sun do the porting.  They get the source any
time they like, and if they want anything new into FlightGear, _they_
get to certify "this is our GPL patch and does not infringe on any
patent we know of."  Requiring somesuch statement, we get to rip out
their code and point any plaintiff _their_ way and be done with it like
Linus and the kernel guys are done with the The SCO Group.

..other than that under these jurisdictions, I don't see what more can
be done to fend off new TSCOG types, so yeah, non-issue it is.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: