On Thursday 10 February 2005 18:19, Martin Spott wrote:
> "Vivian Meazza" wrote:
> > James Turner wrote

> >> The keys do seem to be standard, j/k for spoilers and
> >> Ctrl-B for speedbrake, the issue of course is guessing for
> >> a given model which surfaces are assigned to which name. I
> >> guess 'things on the wings' are spoilers, and 'things not
> >> on the wings' are speed-brakes?
> >
> > Not necessarily. The Seahawk's speedbrakes (aka airbrakes in
> > UK) are in the upper wing, and work in conjunction with the
> > flaps - and yes they are both animated and functional. The
> > Hunter's (under the rear fuselage) is interlocked with the
> > gear.
> >
> > Just to clarify things. Spoilers dump lift, and may provide
> > a bit of braking. Speedbrakes dump speed, and may provide a
> > bit of lift positive or negative (although designers try to
> > avoid this).
>
> Great, now we have an accurate definition, we should fix the
> key bindings  :-)
> Does everyone agree on having j/k for the spoilers ? Now, what
> are we going to take for the speed brakes ? Simply using
> Ctrl-B is not sufficient, because speed brakes are supposed to
> offer multiple settings - do we already use i/o for anything ?
> If not, then we could take these keys for the speed brakes.
>
> Comments, please,
>  Martin.

Something to note is that while YASim includes spoilers it
doesn't cater for speed brakes, so the speed brakes on the TSR-2
are therefore a bit of a hack.

Interestingly, the speed brakes on the YF-23 could be done in
YASim because speed braking is achieved by deflecting the flaps
and ailerons in opposition.  However, because there's no
speed-brake control axis in YASim I've had to control them using
the spoiler control axis.

Confused...     :)

LeeE