Hi,

On Freitag 04 März 2005 16:20, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> I know this is hard to do with standard system level calls.  For
> instance setitimer() in unix allows you to specify a very fine
> resolution sleep/wakeup time.  However, the OS only checks the thread
> during a kernel interrupt which happens at 100hz.  So you can only get
> divisers of 100hz resolution with this approach.
This 100hz sound like the old HZ values of the Linux kernel.
Note that Linux uses 1000HZ timer interrupt since some time. I do not know the
exact time of the transition to 1000HZ but at least every 2.6 kernel uses
this value.

Anyway, I am not shure if times are limited to that HZ value.
If you select on any filedescriptor you can specify microsecond timeouts for
that.
BTW this is the way qt implements timer events.
It selects on the X11 socket (and possible other files the application is
waiting for) with a given timeout. This works well on *NIX. Never tried that
on Windows. But with qt4 this can change :)

   Greetings

         Mathias

--
Mathias Fröhlich, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]