Jim Wilson wrote:
From: Josh Babcock

<snip>

Yeah, I'm still messing around and I don't really understand what I'm doing. The .35 gear ratio came straight out of the POH, and I think I recall seeing a cutaway photo of this engine with a gearbox behind the propeller. The engine rpms should be 2900, I'm not sure how that 1000 got in there. The weird controller lever setting are me grasping at straws.

Should the prop rpm figures be in prop rpm or engine rpm? I took some of the engine figures and multiplied by .35 whet I set some of those.

Hi Josh,

I'm not sure what Andy is talking about, which may not mean he's wrong.  What I
can say for certain, is that if the props are indeed 16.25' in diameter, then
1000 rpm or so would have to be the max.  That would make the gear ratio of
0.35 about right.  In short, assuming the data you've provided is accurate (it
sounds right), your max-rpm under engine should be 2900.  Your gear ratio 0.35.
 And the prop max-rpm should be 1015 (2900 * 0.35).

I haven't tried the file yet, this is just based on a quick look at it and the
dicussion so far.

Best regards,

Jim Wilson

Yeah, I have been reviewing this, and I think I understand how the definition works. I'm getting pretty much the same numbers based on the 2900 and .35 which I got out of the POH and several internet sources on the cyclone engines. I have a more appropriate yasim file now, but I still can't get it to solve, so I wonder if there is another problem somewhere else? Maybe I have screwed up the aero data and it is producing way too much drag.

Here's the latest:
http://home.comcast.net/~jrbabcock/superfort/b29-yasim.2.xml

Everyone, thanks for all the help so far, it is very appreciated,
Josh