Erik Hofman wrote:
> At first I was thinking using #'A' since # represents a number
> already in most cases, but then again; how about just using a
> new function?

Just to be clear, there is a function to do this already: strc()
returns the value of the Nth byte in a string.  The index
defaults to zero, so you can write strc("A") to get 65 right now.
With the new syntax, you can even write "A"[0] to do the same.

The problem (a minor one, admittedly) is that those are runtime
operations that have to generate code.  What I really want is the
ability to just write the number 65 using some simple key
combination involving the character "A".  :)

I think I'm leaning towards back quotes, but I'm still not sure.
Using backquotes has always meant something "special", and
character constants aren't very special...

Andy