Dave,

Interesting you should mention that. This would be great for those of us who
fly fgfs using VFR.

Have you seen my mail from a while back
<http://mail.flightgear.org/pipermail/flightgear-devel/2003-February/015331.html>?
 If I remember correctly this MSFS add-on allows you to do something similar.

As I'm very visually challenged, a sign in the air over an airport saying KJFK
2.5 miles or some such would be a big help finding my way around. Identifying
particular buildings in the air would be nice too. (Golden Gate bridge,
Washington Monument, landmarks like large cemetaries and parks). I'd love to
work on this eventually but that'll probably never happen at the rate I'm
going. 8-(

Yes, a sign pointing the way to Mount Ranier would definitely help me also. I
know it's big, but somehow I can't seem to find it with my eyes. 8-)

Perhaps something similar could be used to mark restricted airspace. Something
especially useful would be signs for those features found on vfr charts.

For example, the San Antonio sectional has:

A border with Mexico
Various Defence areas
River Names
Campgrounds

Outdoor theaters, bridges, railroads, mountains and so forth. Lots of useful
information for finding where you are in a sectional chart or other map/chart.

Perhaps the signs can be turned on/off with various levels as the log messages
are?

OBJECT_SHARED Scenery/Objects/e000n40/e007n49/sembach.ac    7.855
49.513 500.0  0.0

It hovers about 200m over the terrain.

Perhaps showing the height of the tallest elevation on the sign would also be a
help? (height of mountains, buildings, statues, etc).

Just some ideas. Very, very interesting, thanks!

I am still wondering if there is a free database anywhere of buildings and
locations. Anyone heard of any?  Would using the information off of a chart or
other online data
for example, Sierra de los Pilares on the San Antonio sectional has a spot
elevation of 4816. Could that be used or would it need to be based on other
sources. In high school, we were always told that if you found the same
information in more than two sources it's common knowledge and doesn't need to
be attributed. Is that also true of maps and charts? If so, how could one
document where the information being put on signs is coming from?  Is US
government information on public charts available for use? How is this 'common
knowledge' and US government sources impacted by GPL and other licenses?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks!

Ima

BTW, I am in the process of switching isps and hope this msg is coming through
without html. Sorry if not! 8-(