* Martin Spott -- Thursday 26 May 2005 13:07:
> In my eyes _dropping_ ASCII XML files from the distribution should considered
> to be a no-go,

Seconded. And then: it's *not* XML parsing that slows the startup process down
so much! It's parsing two simple gzipped ASCII lists that are directly taken
from X-Plane. Blowing them up to XML and then compiling them to a binary XML
is pure nonsense. I'd rather go for the "cache a binary representation in
$FG_HOME that is re-generated whenever necessary" method. Fears that this means
less openness are completely unfounded and unreasonable. That's nothing else
than having a binary representation in memory. The open format is still the
only source of it, and every changed bit therein will take effect at the next
start. But then again, the 35 seconds that I have to wait now don't kill me.
:-}

m.