> From: "Jon Berndt"
>
> > Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> >
> > > For those who care: these changes to the beacon solve one of the recently
> > > discussed problems with hanging FDM: The beacon is a quite expensive
> > > structure.
> > > It consists of about 1000 vertices and 950 triangles, all on the same
> > > spot.
> > > When you fly over a beacon, the ground cache has to eat all these
> > > triangles,
> > > which makes the FDM stutter or even hang. Quite a waste of effort, for the
> > > fraction of a second that it takes to pass the beacon. With these changes
> > > most of the 950 faces are invisible to the ground cache. There's only a
> > > simple invisible pyramid instead for intersection tests. This does, of
> > > course
> > > mean that you can't fly between the rails through the beacon any more ...
> > >
> > > The rumour goes that fixes for the other crash/hang problems are already
> > > done, too, and will soon be applied. (And they work quite well so far.
> >
> > Is this something that people should consider for any high poly
> > structures then?
>
> Is the "ground cache" for the benefit of the FDM?

In a way you could say that, but I think that these things get called an "FDM
issue",  because any time the plane stops it is blamed on the FDM.  More
accurately, the above describes a situation where the program is getting hung
up waiting for scenery related I/O and/or data crunching.

To answer your question, the "ground cache" is for the benefit of the pilot. :-)

Best regards,

Jim