Martin Spott wrote:
> I'm curious if it is possible to 'simply' define the whole model as a
> "contact point" and let the OpenGL subsystem detect terrain collision.

Not meaningfully.  The 3D geometry can tell you collision points
between polygons.  It can't tell you whether those polygons are
landing gear, or in what direction they will compress, or what the
generated forces are.  All that information has to be passed to the
FDM separately, it can't be computed from the 3D model.

The only way to prevent the "model intersects ground" issue for the
common case is to make sure the 3D artists and FDM modellers are 100%
agreed on their choices of coordinates.

Note that YASim will automatically generate contact points for wing
and fuselage endpoints, so you should get acceptable behavior as long
as the FDM and polygon numbers match.

Andy