On June 25, 2005 01:49 pm, Harald JOHNSEN wrote:
> Paul Kahler wrote:
> >Oh does that sound like a bad hack. What happens to objects that have
> >specular highlights? Would the illumination be as if the sun were
> >shining rather than the spotlight? Lighting is important, but this
> >doesn't seem like it's physically correct at all. OTOH, fake lighting is
> >better than no lighting ;-)
> >
> >Paul
> >

> You are right, this is totaly incorrect lighting. For correct lighting
> and correct specular we should use an
> Opengl light for each light source. The problem is that opengl is sill
> slow for spot lights, and there can be
> more than 100 light around an airport. Of course opengl can not handle
> more than 8 lights in hardware
> (and I am not sure that it is still realtime on lot of machines) so we
> would have to switch ogl lights
> depending on the position of objects or ground geometry... a bit
> overkill I think.
> Perhaps can we use a real ogl light for the aircraft landing light and
> fake light for the airport lights,
> and since the view is centered on the aircraft the hack could be good
> enought.
>
> Harald.

I am probably getting this wrong, but from my prespective, the purpose of
specular reflection seems to give the object a waxy (and reflective) surface.
Perhaps specular reflections for these fake spot lights can be done using
enviromental or reflective maps?

Then again, I don't see having no specular reflection for these fake lights
will be much of a problem.  In the air, there won't be any object that can
give you specular reflections.  On the ground, with the user's plane being
the only aircrafts, and the lack of terminals for airports, the situation
would be the same as in the air.

Ampere