* Andy Ross -- Wednesday 29 June 2005 23:42:
> Reference counting is used to make sure that (a) memory is never freed
> when there are live pointers to it, and (b) live pointers never point
> to freed memory.  Any other usage* is just wrong, and causes bugs**.
>
> * In this case: using the reference count to tell whether or not the
>   node is "in the tree" or "detached".

That's not what it's used for. Actually, it prevents nodes from disappearing
from our property node memory representation -- which is the property tree.
The old method was broken, and reverting to it is out of the question.
Fixing the new one is, of course, desirable *if* it's broken.

m.