Hi folks,
Hopefully I would like to start a discussion of Flightgear code optimisation. My first thoughts are that fgfs divides logically into a number of sub-systems:
a) Flight Dynamics Modelling (FDM)
b) Exterior View
c) Cockpit input and output ie joystick controls,switches and displays.
d) Motion system
but for time being I am going to disregard the last!!
These sub-systems could be physically separated into "processes" (programs, threads - whatever you like to call them) and inter-linked with IPC eg tcp/ip,
Unix sockets,etc.
This would enable:
1) a critical block analysis (CBA) to be run on each sub-system to identify the most frequently used code which can then be optimised by any number of techniques. eg compiler optimisation,manual optimisation, re-writing in a more "efficient language" (without wishing to start a flame war, C++ and Object Orientated languages may be ideal for code development but I know of no object orientated hardware so they may not get the best out of the available hardware.) 2) running the different sub-systems on different inter-linked computers and indeed on different hardware (Intel is not famed for its floating point arithmetic so FDM may be better on PowerPC,UltraSPARC etc but there is a great range of graphics hardware
     which makes Linux/Intel flexible for "view" and "cockpit").
3) tuning the "frame" rate of individual sub-systems (the FDM itself may benefit from different and variable frame rate for the "lateral" and "rotational" elements
    of the aerodynamical derivative integrations)

These are just my first thoughts without tracking through every line of code as yet so maybe some of this has already been done? I dont want to repeat things that have already
been chewed over so any ideas would be welcome.

cheers
Jim