Oliver Schroeder

> some of you may already have taken notice of my multiplayer server for
> flightgear (http://www.o-schroeder.de/fg_server). It's working quite well
> in
> sane environments but I want to improve it and therefor have some
> questions
> you may be able to answer.

... snip ...

> 3) artificial life at airports
>  The server gives a lot of opportunities. One of the first things which
> came
> to my mind was artificial traffic at airports. It should be fairly easy
> write clients in any (network capable) language which do simulate a
> client.
> This can be simply a helicopter standing near a hangar or even a plane
> flying
> around an airport. This would disburden fgfs itself (since it does not
> need
> to create AI traffic itself) and allow an arbitrary number of artificial
> clients, each serving it's "own" airport (or whatever area), bringing life
> many areas of the world without manipulating fgfs itself.

Would a dedicated instance of FlightGear running all the AI traffic needed
and passing them to the server for distribution to all players do the trick?
(filtering by range if that's how you decide to do it).

We would like something like this for the carrier in any case.

We should be aiming for the server to co-ordinate the whole environment -
traffic, weather, time. We need to be clever about bandwidth though - and
only send this kind of background data strictly when needed. The client FGFS
will have to do much of the work, I suppose.

Regards,

Vivian