On Tuesday 26 July 2005 11:30, Steve Hosgood wrote:

> So we're just down to the problem that the sun position code is possibly
> not GPL-able. I've dug out my own code that I'm quite happy to donate.
> Only part of 'src/Time/sunpos.cxx' seems to be derived from Kirk
> Johnson's 'xearth' anyway, and even he attributes it all to the
> legendary "Practical Astronomy with your Pocket Calculator" book by
> Peter Duffett-Smith.
>
> I think the interface routines to FlightGear (all starting with 'fg')
> are not Johnson's anyway, but I'm not totally sure. Durk Talsma may know
> better - his name is on some of the comments in those 'fg' routines.

Just looking through the sunpos.cxx file, I'm actually wondering how much code
is part of the original Kirk Johnson code and how much was changed to adapt
the code to our needs. I really think I would have to look at the original
file to find out. As far as I remember though, the functions starting with
the fg prefix were adaptations from the original Johnson code, but
specifically adapted to our needs.

Erik, having a look at your patch is next on my list. I'll how much I can find
out.

Cheers,
Durk