Melchior FRANZ wrote:
* Curtis L. Olson -- Tuesday 04 October 2005 22:22:

Somewhere since the last release, that got broke and it must get fixed. If that was fixed you wouldn't be seeing a hole in the carrier deck.

The bug was AFAIK there ever since we have helicopters. The same holes
were on rooftops.

Looking at the code (and only at the code) it looks more like a misunderstanding than a bug.

What happens with the HUD is that it behaves like a normal instrument now (and not a perfect one) by that it specifies the AGL relative to the last known good elevation (the airport elevation). I assume it worked more like a radar that could precisely determine the AGL at the aircraft location.

So what basically happens now is that at the (startup) airport the AGL would be reported correctly, but once the terrain elevation increases the reported AGL won't change (like in real life).

Maybe we need a different naming for exact AGL (which is computed correctly BTW, but under a different name).

Erik