Hi guys,
Without wishing to start a flame war and perhaps starting another thread!! Anyone transmitting un-encrypted data across a world wide internet (as opposed to a "private" intranet) needs to think ahead a little. Every hacker will be rubbing their hands with glee before trying to hit you on these ports you have just announced. A server/client or even peer-to-peer client can implement TLS/SSL fairly easily. For those with restricted firewalls you can tunnel through SSH port 22 if you want to keep it simple. Firewall/NAT configurations are difficult enough for admins to configure without having to allow special FlightGear port rules to allow access to ports on machines in-the-clear which may then get hacked thus compromising the security of everyone behind the firewall. Maybe I am paranoid (well known for it in my previous job!) but a denial-of-service attack on your multi-player ports will soon wreck your response times!
cheers
Jim