Oliver Schroeder wrote:
> Andy Ross wrote:
> > The server only needs one socket for its whole lifetime.
>
> Of course, but this solves only part of the problem. The main
> problem is, that a a NAT router may decide to not accept
> (ie. forward to the client) any packets we send back to it.
>
> It may work with more than 80% of current existant NAT routers, but
> it still does not work for the other 20% or so.

I think the ratio is more like 1000:1, honestly.  I have never seen a
piece of consumer hardware that is broken in that way.  Is there a
particular model you are worried about?  Note that most internet games
would also fail across such a device, so it would be unlikely to be
successful in the marketplace.

The whole idea of port forwarding is to enable exactly this kind of
code.  Simplicity is important.  Junk the connected socket and just
use recvfrom/sendto, you will be much happier.

Andy