Hi List,

after some discussions here on the list, but most of the time on irc, I have
drawn some conclusions on how to improve the multiplayer mode. So, here they
are. Feel free to flame me on any part which might be awfully wrong.

1) I'm currently restructoring the network code. There will be no
MultiplayTxMgr and MultiplayRxMgr anymore, but only a MultiplayMgr. That will
simplify the network code alot and support sending and receiving on the same
socket, which should finally avoid NAT configuration for most people.

2) Support multiplayer mode without a server in the middle. So people will be
able to connect multiple instances of flightgear directly.

Step 1) and 2) are already on the way and I hope to finish them in the next 2
weeks (depends on how much time I'm able to invest into it)

The next steps take care of sending abitary (but well defined) properties over
the wire.

3) sending properties for the carrier (Nimitz)
In order to prepare flightgear to send abitary properties, I think the carrier
is predestined. Everything we need is almost already there. What we need is a
method in FGAICarrier which I can call from the network code and is able to
extrapolate position, speed etc from network data. As far as I know, it
should be sufficient to send position, speed and rudder angle.
There is possibly more to say (eg. how to "elect" the feeder and what happens
when the feeder dies etc). I have ideas on that, but we will see how to cope
with that when we know how we actually handle carrier properties.

4) map multiplayer clients to AI objects
Here we have a lot of things to do. At least I have to read more source code
more carefully :) I _think_ something like FGAIAircraft with a few
modifications might just work. So every multiplayer client should be
represented as a FGAIAircraft(-derivative), which is able to fly the aircraft
for a short period of time, based on the data received via network. Any help
on this is very welcome.

So far this time, any comments welcome,
Oliver