> In the recent 737 autopilot change,
> we see that the only improvement is the change of the target speet.
> However, I am surprised to see that the target speed is hardwired here.

The autopilot for FlightGear's 737 is the "standard" FlightGear autopilot and
doesn't reflect the way an actual 737 autoflight system works.   I once built
an autoflight system for the FlightGear 737, but gave up do to a lack of
suitable controllers.  It has since been erased during an OS change.

The current method has some advantages:
  1)  no learning curve for those already using FG's autopilot
  2)  the code and GUI already exist
  3)  it makes a poor terrorist training device

...and some disadvantages:
  1)   the autopilot doesn't match the Mode Control Panel
  2)   it doesn't work like a Boeing autoflight system
  3)   it will forever bring complaints

Dave