On November 4, 2005 04:23 pm, Durk Talsma wrote:
> So, for starters, I would like to explore
> some models of the more popular airliners series, i,e., the Boeing 7[0-8]7,
> Airbus A3[0-8]0, and any [McDonnel] Douglas aircraft (and Fokkers of
> course :-)). I'd build them myself If I had shown any signs of talent in
> the field of 3D modeling :-(.
>
> Cheers,
> Durk

I have data on every single aircraft of Airbus.  I just need the time to be
able to work on them.

On November 5, 2005 03:22 am, Durk Talsma wrote:
> On Friday 04 November 2005 23:40, Christian Mayer wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be better to add those models to the existing (and yet to
> > come) "high"-poly models as a different LOD?
>
> Would be possible, but aircraft loading and unloading time is going to be
> an issue. Unless we can move the aircraft loader into a separate thread, or
> come up with a very sophisticated multiframe aircraft loader, I would
> prefer to start with using something that is simple from the start.
>
> Cheers,
> Durk

Having done multiple Level-of-Details for the MD-11, using multiple models for
different Level-of-Details don't really excite me.  Beside, when one is
inside an airport, where planes are lined up wingtip by wingtip, such a
scheme doesn't really reduce polycount by much, if at all.

In my opinion, it would be more flexible and more efficient to have a single
high-poly model for the aircraft instead.  If the model is divided into
sufficient number of objects, then it would be a simple matter of hiding more
and more objects as the aspect ratio of the aircraft decreases.

For example, a wing can be divided into the following components:
wing
+leading edge
- +slats
- - +top portion
- - +bottom portion
- - +sides
- +slot of slats
+middle portion
- - +front spar
- - +rear spar
- - +top portion
- - +bottom portion
+trailing edge
- +spoilers
- - +top portion
- - +bottom portion
- - +sides
- +flaps
- - +leading edge
- - +sides
- - +remaining portions

One can hide the objects starting from the bottom-most of the tree, and work
toward the root of the tree as the plane becomes more and more out of range.
One can also hide objects that are hidden, such as the bottom of the spoilers
and the leading edge of the flaps when the plane is in a clean configuration.
The latter ability will be very useful when the AI Aircraft is inside an
airport.

Ampere