On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 09:09, Erik Hofman wrote:
> Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> > Just a quick announcement that I rolled up v0.9.9-pre3 tonight.  I had
> > screwed up and missed a file in the base package, and then some other
> > changes got snuck into simgear/flightgear so I figured I might as well
> > roll out another try.

Hot damn! I haven't even got pre2 to run yet!

Curt: if you've not done it yourself yet, the file
"data/Huds/Instruments/Default/runwayinstr.xml" has duff permissions.

> There's one thing I really like to see solved preferably before 0.9.9
> (but it is a must for 1.0) and that's the sun/moon azimuth calculation
> code to be replaced.

That's certainly not getting in before 0.9.9!

Turns out to be waaaay more tricky than it looked. It would seem that
the entire handling of sun/moon azimuth/altitude as it's done now in
flightgear needs replacing, with the alt/az calculations themselves done
in Simgear.

Everything else to do with the ephemeris happens in Simgear. To some
extent, I'd argue that the whole ephemeris thing needs splitting out
from Simgear into "Ephemlib" or something. After all, there are quite a
few planetarium programs out there, each with its own unique ephemeris
calculations. It would make sense to try and draw them together.

There's little incentive for anyone writing an astronomical program to
want to use Simgear for the ephemeris calculations because it comes with
so much flightsim-related baggage.

But that's for another day, another year.
Steve