--- Melchior FRANZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> One new feature *must* go in. Otherwise the 1.0.0 release number is
> IMHO not justified:
>
> * landing lights
>
> Otherwise we'd have to admit that FlightGear 1.0.0 is a daylight-only
> simulator. A patch for landing lights is floating around on IRC.
> (Haven't tested it yet.)

Is this an aircraft modelling issue, or something more fundamental? I.e.
do I just need to add some "light" objects to my aircraft model and some
nasal code to switch them on? If so, then I think it would be fairly safe
for v1.0, as it would be on a per-aircraft basis.

I noticed that on one of your FG pages you mentioned that OpenGL can have
a maximum of 8 light sources. Presumably this is going to cause some dull
rendering issue if we ever had landing lights enabled in a mult-plane
environment?

Finally, on a more practical note, I assume that landing lights work a bit
like car headlamps - i.e. you switch them on during landing and they
illuminate the runway infront of your so you can see when to flare?

-Stuart