--- Vassilii Khachaturov <> wrote:
> I thought more about structural integrity and the residual weakness
> after the plane is abused beyond the certified envelope rather than
> the way it is animated when I read the original poster.

To go partly off topic, presumably we could use the current g force to
determine when the plane goes past design limits and breaks up.

>From the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, the different
aircraft category limits are as follows.

Normal:  3.8 to -1.52
Utility: 4.4. to -1.76
Acrobatic: 6.0 to -3.0

There is a safety factor of 50% on the numbers above, but it would give us
a first-pass at knowing when an aircraft breaks up due to rough handling.

BTW: For those who are not aware of it, the Pilot's Handbook is a
fantastic resource for flight information, and can be downloaded as a PDF
from the FAA website.

-Stuart