Interesting option.....definitely out of our price range, though.(looks pretty cool...good work btw)
How does one go about slaving other comps to the 'master' copy of FG?
Am I missing something in documentation?

Bruce

Curtis L. Olson wrote:

Bruce Benneke wrote:

Absolutely I would be interested in just using FG to do the gauges.....
Any details or a "boot in the right direction" would be appreciated....
Would I be able to seperate the gauges onto a second system? I'm already liking the idea of running 'atlas' as a mapping utility on a second comp....just trying to distribute as much of this as possible. (I've got _stacks_ of older comps to use, but I'm short on newer stuff)

Hi Bruce,

I've done a system where the main FG computer displayed a fullscreen 2D panel and didn't draw any scenery. FG was fully running though in terms of modeling internal systems, radios, flight dynamics, etc. The 2d panel just showed the primary flight/engine gauges. The radio stack was handled in hardware. This was the 'main' or 'master' copy of flightgear. From there you can 'slave' any number of display computers. You could go with a single out-the-window display, or you could go with multiple displays for a wrap around system, or you could go with LCD projectors and project on a big screen(s) in front of you ... there are lots of options depending on your budget and space.

Here are a couple pictures:

http://www.atcflightsim.com/products/710/Link/enclosure.html
http://www.atcflightsim.com/products/820/FS/Link/810M-032.html
http://www.atcflightsim.com/products/820/FS/Link/810M-045.html
http://www.atcflightsim.com/products/820/FS/Link/810M-036.html

Minus the FAA certified flight dynamics, you can do all the software side of this with stock FlightGear and a little elbow grease. The hardware of course would be something you'd have to buy or build ... the sims pictured are a product available for purchase. In terms of fair disclosure, I should state that I'm somewhat involved with the company that builds/sells these sims ... I have done much of the software setup and configuration. I only mention them here because it serves as a good example of the sort of thing you are trying to do. Depending on the balance between your budget and your goals and your own abilities to put these sorts of systems together, these comercial sims might be an option for some people. I'm not trying to be "Mr. Salesman" here, I'm happy to do my best to answer any questions you have about FG if you want to do this yourself, but given that these sims run FG and are quite open, they might make for a nifty engineering sim or training sim for some people.

Regards.

Curt.

begin:vcard
fn:Bruce Benneke