On Thursday 05 January 2006 23:44, Paul Surgeon wrote:
> On Thursday 05 January 2006 21:13, Durk Talsma wrote:
> > I haven't firmly
> > decided yet, but I'm considering starting to tackle airway following
> > code, which is in a way quite similar to the ground network.
>
> Now that would be amazing. No other desktop sim has AI flying realistic
> flightplans along airways.

The only other desktop FlightSim I know in fair detail is MSFS, and fact that
all AI traffic follows straight point to point routes drives me nuts.
Especially when Flying across continental Europe with the major project AI
airlines packages installed, which results in major proximity alerts about
every five minutes.

There are still a few gotcha's to think about, to prevent "ridiculous
routing", but the general idea is to find a way through the airway network
stored in data/Navaids/awy.dat.gz in a way much similar to the trace
algorithm used in src/Airports/groundnetwork.[ch]xx

Once a good route is found, it can be stored in a cache directory on disk, so
its' available for fast access.

Cheers,
Durk