<snip>

> No matter what I try, the bucket tool does not work for me.  The dancing
> ants are there for the selections, but no fill color.  I have read the
> gimp help file sections that I think apply.  I have tried doing the
> background in one layer, the N-numbers in another layer (N-numbers work
> as does the brush), and the trim in a new layer.  In order to "see" the
> part outlines, these layers have all been added as transparent.  I
> suspect that may be my problem but don't know .
>
> Many of you do this all the time.  Is the above outline at all
> reasonable?  Help much appreciated.  The Comanche flies great and looks
> good even without the textures .  A vintage high-performance single
> would be a nice addition to fgfs.

This sounds reasonable.  You might even want a larger texture.  Any chance you
are getting confused about what layer you are on?  Probably not...

Anyway, see if you can do the following:   Create a new image in gimp with
transparent background.  Draw some sort of selection (e.g. using rectangle or
circle).   Can you fill that?

If not check to make sure your opacity isn't zero, or your select feathering
isn't on and a huge value, or something silly like that.  Beyond that you may
want to post a question on a gimp list.

Best,

Jim