On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:17:10 -0800, you wrote:

>Today the World Custom Scenery Project was launched on
>http://www.custom-scenery.org/. It aims at providing a central hub for
>custom terrain creators for the FlightGear flight simulator, providing
>documentation, tools, tips and tricks for creating custom scenery and a
>central terrain database for the standard scenery builds.

This is a great idea.

What I miss most from FG and what even is not well represented in
Microsoft Flight Sim, is the ability to explore the local area as in a
real aircraft. I also waited for a long time for the scenery to become
useful and attractive for VFR flight and visual wayfinding, which it
eventually did.

About three years ago, I started working on a project to enhance the
area around the Chesapeake bay region. I hope to donate this data and
whatever objects, traffic and airport improvements to FlightGear. I
thought about setting up a website for the project, if there are
enough people interested or who live in the area, to collaborate on
the Chesapeake project. This is a fun area to fly and more people
should give it a try. It will be especially attractive if we have ATC
and multiplayer, given it is centered between several major airports
and sees a lot of traffic crossing through, up and down the coast, to
major urban centers and to the Atlantic track.

I may not be able to work on the ground data, but will contribute what
I have in scenery and interesting airports, flights, etc.

Steve