Just checked out CVS source and data for v0.9.9.
Configure and make went fine. Seems to be two issues.
First, I'm getting errors like this:

Failed to set alias to /sim/sound/voices/voice[0]/text
Failed to set alias to /sim/sound/voices/voice[0]/text
Failed to set alias to /sim/sound/voices/voice[0]/text

This could be a hint.  When I first tried to run fgfs
I got errors suggesting the code was looking in .fgfs
directory for source and data that were placed in to
/usr/local/Flightgear/data and
/usr/local/Flightgear/source

Above paths are how I've setup previous versions. So I
set $FG_ROOT to /root/.fgfs.  But program aborts with
these errors/warnings that end in

Failed to set alias to /sim/chase-distance-m
Failed to set alias to /sim/chase-distance-m
  Model Author:  Unknown
  Creation Date: 2002-01-01
  Version:       $Id: c172p.xml,v 1.15 2006-01-12
15:07:14 ehofman Exp $
Aborted

Maybe I should have set something different in the
./configure?   Thanks for the help.
Mike